The South Carolina Waterfowl Association takes pride in working closely with a large number of conservation partners ranging from state and federal agencies, non-profit organizations, corporations and individuals. These partnerships focus on furthering SCWA’s mission to enhance and perpetuate our wildlife heritage through education and habitat conservation.
Camp Woodie Scholarship Partners – South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR), Children’s Homes, SCWA Chapters, Individuals, Foundations and Corporate Donors
- 115 Camp Woodie scholarships funded in 2019 – 30 scholarships distributed for SCDNR’s Take One Make One (TOMO) program, 85 distributed to children’s homes, including Connie Maxwell, Croswell Center, Alpha Center, & Children’s Attention Center
Camp Leopold Corporate and Chapter Scholarships Partners – SCWA Chapters, Albemarle Corporation, The Boeing Company, Dominion Energy, Duke Energy, Wells Fargo, PalmettoPride, South Carolina Farm Bureau, Sea Hunt Boats, Bentley Pontoon Boats, Black River Electric Cooperative, Marshall Air Systems, O’Dell Corporation, Southeastern Architectural Systems, Volvo, Honda, Berkeley Electric Cooperative, International Paper, DHEC, Turner Orthodontics, Dr. Steve Bale, Walmart, Brooks Engineering
- Over 4,000 Camp Leopold scholarships provided to schools across South Carolina in 2019
Ring-necked Duck Research Partners – Delta Waterfowl, United States Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS), University of Georgia
- SCWA provided $33,000 to fund tracking radios for 10 Ring-necked ducks, provided staff labor and land to catch 30 ducks for study.
South Carolina Wildlife Partnership Partners – SCDNR and Private Landowners
- SCWA funded $10,000 to help establish initial private land hunts for public hunters. SCWA Chief Executive Officer, David Wielicki and SCWA Board member Buford Mabry are founding board members of SCWP.
Pintail Partners Partners – SCDNR, Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Private Landowners
- Provided use of Wildlife Education Center, waterfowl impoundments, volunteer and staff guides, $3,000 in funding and annual staff labor to coordinate youth hunts that provide hunts for an average of 80 youth annually
Gary Dietrich Wildlife Management Apprentice Program Partners – Gary Dietrich Family Foundation, Clemson University
- A partnership between the Gary Dietrich Family Foundation, SCWA Bobby Glover Wildlife Management Area and Clemson University working to develop the nation’s leading wildlife management apprentice program for graduates of associates, bachelors and master degree programs in wildlife and natural resources.
- Currently developing a 2-year non-thesis masters degree program through Clemson University
Future Wildlife Professionals Camp Partners – Boone and Crockett Club, Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s Outdoor Fund
- $80,000 in funding over the past three years from the Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s Outdoor Fund to allow SCWA Camp Woodie campers who are interested in pursuing a career in the wildlife conservation field to attend an intensive 2-week career awareness camp at the SCWA Wildlife Education Center and the Boone and Crocket Club Teddy Roosevelt Ranch in Montana
Giant Cutgrass Control on Lake Marion and Moultrie Partners – SCDNR, Santee Cooper, USFWS
- SCWA provided $10,000 for chemicals and staff labor to help develop spraying plan.
- Project will eliminate up to 2,500 acres of giant cutgrass, which will enhance waterfowl and fisheries habitat and improve public waterfowl hunting opportunity on Lakes Marion and Moultrie
Wintering Waterfowl Surveys – Lead Partner : Jim C. Kennedy Waterfowl and Wetlands Conservation Center, Clemson University
- SCWA provided $2,000 to help fund survey along with many other donors.
American Camping Association (ACA) Partnership
- Camp Woodie and Camp Leopold are certified under ACA.
- We are expanding our collaboration with ACA to enhance and improve both programs.
Sylvan Heights Bird Park Partnership
- Collaboration on the SCWA Mike and Jennifer Smith Waterfowl Aviary, conservation education programs and marketing of education programs
SCWA Wildlife Education Center Meeting Space Partner – SCDNR
- Provided use of WEC facilities for biologist and law enforcement meetings